Friday, June 02, 2017

'the CELTS are Coming'


In early August, I have been asked to take part in the 20th Anniversary Event at the Scottish Crannog Centre, Aberfledy (north of Perth).

The reconstructed Crannog on Loch Tay - looking roughly south west. (from SCC web site)

'The Celts are Coming

August 5 & 6


I will be one of the artisans providing historical demonstrations at the Forestry Commission's lochside picnic site at Dalerb, Kenmore (right across the water from the Crannog Centre, about 2 km by road).

Right now one of the (too many!) project outlines I am working up is a 'Celtic Iron Age' period bloomery iron smelt for this event.

This will be a continuation of my research into ancient (pre Medieval) iron smelting process. As seen on my web site documentation, my main focus has been Viking Age. Over the years I have been involved in experimental projects that push the basic process of the 'short shaft' furnace earlier and earlier in terms of specific archaeological and cultural prototypes.

As I work up specific aspects of this specific time / culture, expect to see a number of the elements expanded into blog postings here...

No comments:

 

February 15 - May 15, 2012 : Supported by a Crafts Projects - Creation and Development Grant

COPYRIGHT NOTICE - All posted text and images @ Darrell Markewitz.
No duplication, in whole or in part, is permitted without the author's expressed written permission.
For a detailed copyright statement : go HERE