Friday, November 28, 2008

Ongoing - 'Exploring Viking Age Denmark'

A Note to my Regular Readers:
I have been working for the last couple of weeks taking my huge image collection from my research trip to Denmark in the spring and turning it into some form of publication. From my travels and the various museums I visited, there are over 400 images, primarily of Viking Age artifacts. To these I have added commentary on each, based on the notes recorded at the time. The whole is formated up as html, the size is such that it needs to be recorded to a DVD data disk. I had originally hoped to have the publication 'Exploring Viking Age Denmark' ready for release on Dec 1. It now looks like I will be missing that deadline. This is another teaser segment from the publication:


The Ribe VikingeCenter
Lustrupholm
Lustrupvej 4, 6760 Ribe, Denmark
452-041-8022
www.ribevikingecenter.dk

The Ribe Viking Centre is an impressive living history / open air museum located within about a half hours walk (cross country) to the south of the centre of Ribe. It supports a large number of educational programs, from the usual single day tours through to intensive live in programs. Along with staff interpreters, many artisans, they allow for guest Viking Age re-enactors to set up and interact with the general public. The site is roughly grouped into four main theme areas : educational centre and children's village / the Viking Market / an Iron Age settlement / a Norse farmstead. This is a working site, with artisans producing various products using period methods, crops grown and livestock raised for eating. The individual areas are separated by hedge rows and stream banks in a quite natural manner.

Unfortunately, the site marks its seasonal opening with a grand Market on May 1. I had to visit a full week before this, so missed the interpretive staff at work. Here again, previous contact from Canada paid off greatly, as I was generously offered a quick guided tour of the site by curator Bjarne Clement. On this we were accompanied by fellow iron maker Michael Nissen, who offered many insights into the working days of the interpreters. For the cost of a meal, I later enjoyed an evening with Michael and site glass artisan Trine Theut. I returned to the site the following day on my own, which is when many of these images were taken.

Because the site was still closed (although there was public access to the grounds) I was not able to get very many interior shots. As I was walking in from town (along the rail line and across a couple of fields) I actually started my visit at the rear of the site. I have re-ordered the images to better represent what you might expect with a paid admission.

No comments:

 

February 15 - May 15, 2012 : Supported by a Crafts Projects - Creation and Development Grant

COPYRIGHT NOTICE - All posted text and images @ Darrell Markewitz.
No duplication, in whole or in part, is permitted without the author's expressed written permission.
For a detailed copyright statement : go HERE