Thursday, September 02, 2021

30 That Never Sold - 'Wind Widgets'

 The last couple of years I exhibited at Summerfolk in Owen Sound, I mounted a series of work based on the Four Elements : Earth / Air / Fire / (Water).

I never completed the last element, work based on water. This largely because of repeated trips to Scotland and Europe after 2014, to participate in bloomery iron research projects, all over that same part of later August. 


For the 2013 year, the theme at Summerfolk was AIR.

In an attempt to have a body of lower priced objects, that I thought suitable and of interest to a Folk Festival audience, I had created several styles of individually made 'Wind Widget' outdoor spinners. These were all made of durable metal, unlike the slightly cheaper plastic spinners becoming available about the same time. There were two broad groupings, either made of solid copper or brass, plus those made of aluminum or stainless steel. Some of the curved aluminum ones were spray painted  with merging bright colours.

The more expensive (considerably!) material copper and brass were priced $20 (taxes included). The aluminum and stainless were priced at $16 (taxes in)

I don't think I sold one...


I still have over 30 of these. I personally think they are good objects. The spirals and mobius strip types are roughly 8 - 10 inches in diameter, the strip versions about 18 inches long. With the light weight against the curving surfaces, they all are quite mobile to the wind. They certainly are extremely durable - I've had some of the first prototypes for these hanging outside at Wareham, year round, for a decade.


And no - I've never been able to 'Understand the Marketplace'.


No comments:

 

February 15 - May 15, 2012 : Supported by a Crafts Projects - Creation and Development Grant

COPYRIGHT NOTICE - All posted text and images @ Darrell Markewitz.
No duplication, in whole or in part, is permitted without the author's expressed written permission.
For a detailed copyright statement : go HERE