Thursday, December 06, 2018

'Custom' Blades / Phones = Questions

Ok - I *am* getting (more) crotchitty. 
I have gotten a good half dozen 'tell me everything - because I can't be bothered to read anything' e-mail messages over the past month.

There are two core reasons that I can see for this - both underscoring current popular culture :

1) Forged in Fire = false 'information' creates general lack of understanding
2) Use of phones and their tiny screens

This is particularly frustrating to me, as I have certainly spent considerable time and effort to supply basic information on the main Wareham Forge web site - I have also done any number of commentaries related to Bladesmithing and Custom Work on to this blog.
Following good advice from David, Neil and Kelly (particularly) I have formatted up the following bulk reply to 'Will you make my knife' e-mails * : 

Layered Kitchen Knife : 1996 = $400 (+)
This is a bulk reply to your recent query related to 'Custom' blades from the Wareham Forge.
As you might expect, I get a large number of similar first contact requests.

Increasingly, as individuals use tiny phone screens as their portal into the internet, I am receiving questions which are fully covered in some detail on both the main web site (www.warehamforge.ca) or as commentaries on the blog (warehamforgeblog.blogspot.com )

So to start with, I will refer you to the following general topics :

On Custom Bladesmithing : http://www.warehamforge.ca/knife.html
On Past Bladesmithing Work : http://www.warehamforge.ca/gknive.html
Currently Available Work : http://www.warehamforge.ca/available.html
General Questions & Answers : http://www.warehamforge.ca/QandA.html

On 'Custom' Blades (blog posts) :
https://warehamforgeblog.blogspot.com/2014/09/custom-knife.html
https://warehamforgeblog.blogspot.com/2010/01/be-serious-or-dont-waste-my-time.html



At this point in my working life (40 years at the forge):
    - I am primarily * only * undertaking projects of my * own * personal interest
    - Acquired skill and experience = high value. Any blade created will be in the * plus $500 * range
    - I am not interested in making simple 'heavy tool' / camp knives
    - I do not work with exotic modern alloys / stainless steels
 
'Hector's Bane' (Bloomery Iron) : 2012 = $1000
Despite what 'popular culture' suggests, the following qualities are not possible in a single blade
    - chose either edge holding OR heavy durability
    - chose either ease of sharpening OR rust proofing
    - Layered Steel blades should be considered decorative rather than functional
REMEMBER THE 'IRON TRIANGLE' :
You can have it CHEAP
You can have it FAST
You can have it GOOD
You can only get ONE of these 

'Bayeux' Broad Axe : 2008 = $450
Please read the background information available.
If your concept for your blade project resembles past work as illustrated, AND you are willing to commit a * significant * budget to your project, be welcome to contact me for further discussion.

I also suggest the following alternatives:
Ontario Artist Blacksmith Association : www.ontarioblacksmiths.ca

Although I can certainly recommend a number of senior artisan blacksmiths, most of these will have similar restrictions as I do (for much the same reasons)
David Robertson : www.artistblacksmith.com
Jeff Helms : www.jeffhelmes.com

Two 'younger' smiths I can suggest are :
Dustin Wolski
Simone Ruetz

Darrell

* Images and hot links added for this posting

No comments:

 

February 15 - May 15, 2012 : Supported by a Crafts Projects - Creation and Development Grant

COPYRIGHT NOTICE - All posted text and images @ Darrell Markewitz.
No duplication, in whole or in part, is permitted without the author's expressed written permission.
For a detailed copyright statement : go HERE